Monday, May 16, 2011

Pretty Thoughts Journal #1


You may or may not know this about me, but back in the days when I was a SAHWWNL (Stay At Home Wife With No Life)(psh, like it was that long ago) I watched a lot of TV series' on DVD. I still do, but since the day job, my DVD watching has decreased. One of my favorites is Gilmore Girls. I am only missing seasons 1-3, only because I don’t think I’m much of a fan of Rory’s high school days- the verdict is still out, but I have a feeling once those seasons go on sale at Wal-Mart again, I may just buy them- I am a big fan of Jess, so you never know. I first popped in a season 4 DVD just to provide back ground noise while I cleaned the house and folded laundry. It soon became apparent that I needed to watch them all because there were so many episodes I hadn’t seen before, and partly so I wouldn’t have another situation where I forgot about the laundry and finished 14 straight episodes in one day. I miss those days. I do still watch my famed Gilmore Girls DVD’s. Usually at night when I’m trying to Zen myself out so I can fall asleep.

I was watching a season 5 episode of Gilmore Girls one night, and the words "Pretty Thoughts Journal" came up. Paris was seeking some counseling from her life coach, Torrance, after suffering the death of her boyfriend, Professor Asher Fleming. Torrance mentions to Paris that she is dragging out her mourning period and needs to put herself back out there and move on with life, and points out that she has been ignoring her Pretty Thoughts Journal.  

I’ve been pondering what exactly a Pretty Thoughts Journal is. Would it be a series of small journal entries with quotes from famous people on beauty? Would it be more in depth and soul touching, talking about self esteem and self worth? Would it just be simple excerpts of my daily life when I feel ugly and need a reminder that life is good? I thought it was a good idea, and I decided that I would start my own Pretty Thoughts Journal (whatever it was) in the morning, of course. I sat for a good while trying to come up with a good plan for what this journal should entail. Alas, I came up with nothing new. And then it hit me. It could be about anything! No rules! So, with all that being said, welcome to the first entry of my pretty thoughts journal!

Last week, my wonderful Aunt Flow paid a visit. Most times when she comes, she never fails at giving me several reminders that her arrival is on the horizon, never letting me forget for one second. Other times, she just shows up with no formal warning what so ever, and a week earlier than her projected time frame. This visit was the latter of the two scenarios. It was one of those moments that make you grateful that your bladder was about to explode at 6 in the morning, thus ending any peaceful slumber. Unfortunately, her visit usually causes my skin to break out, my clothes to not fit comfortably (thanks to the, what seems like 30 extra pounds of water weight), a series of bad hair days, and the inevitable Kelsey-laying-on-the-living-room-floor-moaning from the awful cramps. (We will not make mention of the time when khaki pants were involved). I’ve thought about writing a book about my period because I’ve got some good stories. I’m pretty open about it, and people look at me funny, but I think it’s a good way of finding humor in the small things in life. I sometimes come up with really funny titles like The Vagina Monologue (but that’s been taken), Period Dairies, The Period Fairy (which is in the lead right now), It Comes At The End of A Sentence, and Dear Aunt Flow, Please Die… I could go on but this is already long enough. The point is, menstruation is a crappy thing. I’ve never once heard anyone (men included!) cheer because her period was here. I am no exception. I freaking hate my dear Aunt Flow, and need a little encouragement during my time of grieve and pain. 

While sitting at my desk at work, dying a slow and painful death from my uterus outward, I turned my head quickly and got a whiff of my hair. It smelled goooooood. I couldn’t quite pin point what it smelled like. A hint of shampoo, maybe a little hair spray, laundry soap from my clothing… I still couldn’t tell you exactly. All I know, is that it was amazing, and I kept pulling my trestles across my face so I could breathe in that heavenly scent. It made me feel good during a dismal phase, because it was one of the only things I had going for me that day. It reminded me that I am in fact, pretty even when I feel ugly.

I thought I’d start by sharing something such as this, something that I think for the most part, most women can relate to. I know for a fact that I am not the only female who takes pride in good smelling hair. That’s why hair products are targeted towards female audiences and contain fruity perfumes. Don’t tell me you haven’t ever opened the bottle of shampoo and smelled it while you were still down the hair product isle. 

So thanks to my hair, my day was brightened. Thanks hair! I will never take your scent for granted ever again!

2 comments:

Life as Linds said...

LOL! This was a fantastic blog. It completely made my day! Love ya girl!

Tannie Datwyler said...

I like this. :) The humor about your period totally cracks me up and I loved the way you described your "tresses." Thanks for sharing.