Tell me what you think.
I have a friend who just happens to be a relative of my brother in law's fiance, send me a message today informing me that the bridal shower she is throwing is in May, two whole months months away. She didn't send the message to anyone else, just me. I found it kind of odd because I have a feeling that this friend wants me to contribute a significant amount, and her sending me a message way too early to let me know about it, maybe she's anticipating my kindness and assuming that me, being the kind person that I am, I will offer to help out. Which is true. I have no problem with helping out, and I of course, asked if there was anything I could do to contribute. This friend is already pretty poor and has already put a lot of money into this wedding, and I know she doesn't have the money to do much... and I kind of think she has an ulterior motive to get me to do it, or contribute a large amount and then take the credit.
Now, before you get the wrong idea, I'm more than willing to help out and even host it. I just don't appreciate being conned into things like that. I may be jumping to conclusions a little, but I'm kind of suspicious. She's already asked me to bring food and help with the invites...
Do you think I'm justified in being cautious? Or am I being a little ridiculous? You can be honest... I feel a little ridiculous, but I'd love to be asked to be the one throwing it because I think I'm really good at that kind of stuff, and I'd rather be the host than the one who puts in all the effort for someone else. Anyways, please give me your input.
I have a friend who just happens to be a relative of my brother in law's fiance, send me a message today informing me that the bridal shower she is throwing is in May, two whole months months away. She didn't send the message to anyone else, just me. I found it kind of odd because I have a feeling that this friend wants me to contribute a significant amount, and her sending me a message way too early to let me know about it, maybe she's anticipating my kindness and assuming that me, being the kind person that I am, I will offer to help out. Which is true. I have no problem with helping out, and I of course, asked if there was anything I could do to contribute. This friend is already pretty poor and has already put a lot of money into this wedding, and I know she doesn't have the money to do much... and I kind of think she has an ulterior motive to get me to do it, or contribute a large amount and then take the credit.
Now, before you get the wrong idea, I'm more than willing to help out and even host it. I just don't appreciate being conned into things like that. I may be jumping to conclusions a little, but I'm kind of suspicious. She's already asked me to bring food and help with the invites...
Do you think I'm justified in being cautious? Or am I being a little ridiculous? You can be honest... I feel a little ridiculous, but I'd love to be asked to be the one throwing it because I think I'm really good at that kind of stuff, and I'd rather be the host than the one who puts in all the effort for someone else. Anyways, please give me your input.
2 comments:
Eh, it doesn't matter what the motive is. Just do it because you are nice and you want to help out! I have found that even if I don't get credit, it feels good to do nice things for people. Plus, if you are doing the invitations, you can put your name on it too. I actually thought, I hope Kelsey does the invites and food, because that's perfect for her! You'll be great at it, and I'm sure your future sister in law will be really grateful too.
I agree with Erin but understand how you feel. I had a similar situation in where someone asked to throw me a baby shower just so I'd offer to throw her one too. It didn't bother me because she would've thrown me one if I had said yes and she really needed one and was too afraid to ask somebody to do it. And like you, I enjoy doing them. So I say do it! :)
Post a Comment